Urinary incontinence cases, which negatively affect daily life and which we encounter more and more in our environment, are more common in women than in men. Although this disease is generally thought to be seen in children and elderly individuals, it can occur in women of all ages. Dr. Seçil Günay Avcı prepared a column about the methods to eliminate the urinary incontinence problem at an early stage.
Urinary incontinence is the out-of-control leakage of urine when you don’t think or plan to urinate. It is seen in the form of pressure increases such as coughing, sneezing, playing sports, as well as incontinence with a sudden sense of urine. Urinary incontinence is a type of dysfunction of the bladder-urinary bag that stores urine. In a study conducted in our country, the incidence of urinary incontinence among young university students was almost 20% has been determined. This situation is nearly 5 revealed that one of the university students had urinary incontinence. Have not given birth yet, not entered menopause, In the 18-28 age groupThis study, which revealed the existence of urinary incontinence, showed us that it is necessary to take precautions at an early age.
Dr. Seçil Günay Avcı has prepared a special article for Yasemin.com readers, summarizing 10 situations that we need to pay attention to in order not to leak urine:
– Regular exercise habits from childhood Paying attention to and caring about body posture. Computer use and desk jobs increase spinal damage starting from the neck level. The fact that the spinal muscles are strong and there are no posture problems in those who do sports regularly prevent the nerves going to the bladder to remain in the spinal pressure in the early period. Let’s be aware of the wrong postures of our children in sitting and resting positions and try to gain the habit of correct posture.
– To fight obesity from the mother’s womb. Diabetes, blood pressure, circulatory disorder, varicose veins and collagen damage are more common in children of mothers who have gained excessive weight during pregnancy. These children age with the damage that starts from the mother’s womb. Pelvic floor injury should also be considered for children, such as 15-year-old girls with cracked knees or 12-year-old boys with a dislocated breast. In order to avoid problems during pregnancy, it is essential to take precautions before becoming pregnant.
– To know the symptoms of diabetes. Monitoring blood sugar. Ketoacidosis, which is very weak and goes with muscle wasting, can also be an indicator of diabetes. It is important to combat abdominal fat and to break insulin resistance. Diabetes shows symptoms many years before it starts. Drinking a lot of water, eating a lot, urinating a lot are the main symptoms of diabetes. It is often associated with urinary tract infections and impaired bladder functions, and urinary incontinence is a common complaint in diabetics.
– Continuous sitting shifts Moving or walking for 5 minutes every 45 minutes helps regulate the circulation of the pelvic floor throughout the day. Walking before sagging starts, supporting with resistance exercises if there are problems such as sagging and hernia.
–Do bladder training. It is helpful not to go to the toilet at every urination sensation and to try to postpone it. Urinary habits can be corrected with bladder training. The first feeling of urination comes with 100-150cc of urine, but the bladder capacity is almost 10 times this amount. Contrary to popular belief, collecting or holding urine is not a bad habit. Because urine is retained, there is no backflow to your kidneys.
– Tight pants, tight clothes, Walking around in tights at home during the day impairs pelvic floor circulation. Urination, bowel activities, fecal and gas removal, and the transport of reproductive organs depend on the pelvic floor. When the pelvic floor is damaged, prostate problems and urination difficulties may occur not only in women but also in men.
– Smoking causes sagging and urinary incontinence. increases. Smoking disrupts the vascular structure and contributes to varicose veins. It impairs circulation and accelerates sagging.
– being constipated to incontinence prepares the ground. Stool should be regular, morning and evening. Defecation difficulties, straining disrupts the pelvic floor.
– Collagen structure disorders lead to urinary incontinence prepares the ground. There may be a genetically inherited problem in the production of collagen, which is the main protein of the body’s carrier elements, in those with a family history of collagen structure disorders such as varicose veins and hernia. In these women, sagging of the uterus and vagina can be seen before they become pregnant.
– cross legs to pelvic floor does damage. The habit of crossing legs during class hours, which is especially common among students, disrupts the circulation of the pelvic floor, reduces blood supply and accelerates sagging. Trying to sit cross-legged in the resting areas at home or between classes, with legs spread apart, is healthier for the pelvic floor than crossing your legs.
– Urinary incontinence, It is a condition that can affect mental health by impairing quality of life and restrict social life. Preventing its occurrence by taking precautions is our most fundamental responsibility as a physician devoted to preventive medicine.
Dr. Secil Gunay Avci
Halic University Lecturer Member of