Hypertension is seen in more than 1.5 billion people in the world, but 50% of the patients do not show any symptoms. Cardiology Specialist Prof. Dr. Ertan Ökmen, “According to the latest figures announced by the Turkish Society of Cardiology, 31.2 percent of the adult population in Turkey has hypertension, while only 12 percent of young people with hypertension are aware of their disease.” Moreover, hypertension is responsible for one-eighth of deaths in the world.
Responsible for 1 in 8 deaths in the world The most important symptoms of hypertension
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Visual impairment
Cardiology Specialist Prof. Dr. Ertan Ökmen, “Hypertension is seen as the biggest culprit of stroke, heart and kidney diseases. Every year, 9 million people die from high blood pressure and related diseases.
Hypertension is more common in women
Women in Turkey Facts about hypertension
- Hypertension is 36 percent of women and 36 percent of men seen in 30 percent.
- Excessive weight, obesity, sedentary life, increased intake of processed foods and salt in the diet cause hypertension.
- Hypertension in children is manifested by visual impairment, nausea and headache.
- Blood pressure measurement should be done regularly in children after the age of 3 years.
Salt shakers will be removed from the tables in restaurants
As of 2019, the protocol between the Ministry of Health, Turkish Restaurants and Pastries Federation and All Cooks and Pastry Confederations to reduce the use of salt and sugar Giving information that it was signed and that the salt shakers will be removed from the tables in restaurants, Prof. Dr. Ertan Ökmen listed the facts about salt usage in Turkey as follows:
Salt usage in Turkey
- The ideal daily salt usage rate is 8 gr.
- On the other hand, in Turkey, on average, 18 gr.
Prof. Dr. Ertan Ökmen explained the three most important ways to prevent hypertension as follows.
- Start exercising, move a lot.
- Get rid of the salt shaker and salt from your home.
- Remember that the best diet is the Mediterranean diet.