Regular walks increase blood flow and the amount of blood vessels, improve circulation and help reduce the risk of vascular diseases such as cardiovascular and brain. Thanks to walking, the muscles get stronger, the rate of obesity and stress decreases, and the aging process is delayed. It is of great importance to make regular walks a lifestyle for a healthy and quality life. Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Specialist Dr. Feride Ekimler Süslü gave information about the importance of regular marches on the occasion of “October 3rd World Walking Day”.
Walking strengthens bones
Regular walks increase the body’s capacity to use oxygen, strengthen large muscle groups dynamically and run it rhythmically. Regular walks for a healthy and quality life provide 6 calories per minute. It helps to reduce the fat ratio in the body by preventing weight gain. Walking strengthens bones, makes it easier to maintain weight and control heart and lung health. People over the age of forty should definitely start walking programs under the supervision of a doctor. People with diseases such as hypertension and diabetes should not neglect their doctor’s check-ups frequently.
How to walk?
- The walk should be done at least two hours after a light meal.
- Plenty of water should be consumed before and after walking.
- Quick and tiring walks should be avoided after a heavy meal.
- Walking shoes with special insoles suitable for walking should be used.
- If the walks will be done in open areas, early morning hours should be chosen.
- It is useless to wrap the body with nylon, oilcloth and similar materials while walking to lose weight.
- Walk should be started slowly with warm-up movements.
- In the same way, the walking should be ended slowly.
- It is also very useful to contract and relax the hip muscles at least 30 times during the day while walking or sitting.
With 30 minutes of walking, you can burn at least 60 calories!
With walking, 2-6 calories per minute can be spent by taking one step per second, and 5-7 calories per minute with two steps. With a correct walking program and a regular nutrition plan, it is possible to lose 5-6 kilos per year. But is there any other benefit of walking besides losing weight? Of course there is!
The health benefits of walking
- Reduces insomnia
- Eases digestion
- Regulates blood pressure
- Prevents the feeling of fatigue
- Increases respiratory capacity
- Provides hardening and strengthening of bones
- Provides the release of natural pleasure hormones (endorphins) in the body
- By increasing the supply of oxygen to the brain, mental sharpness and creativity increases the thought potential
- Regulates HDL/LDL (benign-bad cholesterol) balance
- Lowers the level of blood fats (triglycerides)