Anemia, which is especially common in women ; Iron, folic acid, vitamin B12 deficiency manifests itself with symptoms such as weakness, heart palpitations, fatigue, loss of appetite, dizziness, dryness around the mouth, and increased incidence of infection. Iron is not produced in the body, so it must be taken with food. Inadequate and unbalanced nutrition, choosing food, excessive consumption of coffee, tea, cigarettes; Inadequate nutrition during pregnancy and lactation, and insufficient intake of vitamins C, E and B are among the causes of anemia. Dietitian Dilara Demirkan Erkek shared for Pudra.com readers what should be considered in nutrition for those suffering from anemia.
anemia , popularly known as anemia , iron deficiency, which is an essential mineral for our body seen as a result. One of the most important tasks of iron is the production of hemoglobin (oxygen-carrying blood cells). In anemia, iron stores are gradually depleted in the body, and symptoms may not be apparent at first. Since iron is not produced in the body itself, it must be obtained through diet. Iron taken from foods of animal origin (absorption rate 30%) is absorbed more easily than foods of vegetable origin (absorption rate 5%) .
Polyphenols in tea, coffee, cola and cigarettes reduce the bioavailability of iron. Consuming it especially with meals creates anemia in the long run. Dietician Dilara Demirkan Male shares what we should pay attention to in nutrition to increase iron absorption :
Causes of anemia
- Insufficient and unbalanced nutrition
- Choosing food
- Excessive consumption of coffee, tea, cigarettes
- Inadequate nutrition during pregnancy and lactation
- Insufficient intake of vitamins C, E, B
- Genetic transmission
Main foods containing iron
- Red meat, turkey meat, eggs
- Oil seeds
- Well cooked legumes
- Dark green leafy vegetables
- Dried fruits
- Molasses, tahini halva
How to increase iron absorption?
- Foods containing iron should be consumed together with vitamin C.
- You can cook especially your red meat dishes with dark green leafy vegetables or you can choose a salad with plenty of lemon with your legumes.
- Iron absorption increases if you consume your dark green leafy vegetable meals with a freshly squeezed fruit juice or an acidic source food yogurt.
- In women’s special days, iron loss increases with bleeding in their bodies. For this reason, it is necessary to increase the consumption of foods rich in iron, especially in women with a large amount of bleeding.
Reasons that reduce iron absorption
- If you have anemia problems, do not include dairy products in your meat-based meals.
- Excessive consumption of milk and dairy products prevents iron absorption.
- Polyphenols in tea, coffee, cola, cigarettes reduce the bioavailability of iron. Consuming it especially with meals creates anemia in the long run.
Personalized daily iron requirement
- Men 10 mg
- Women 18 mg
- For pregnancy 27 mg
- 18 mg
- for lactation period 15 mg
for puberty These drugs are most likely to cause constipation. To prevent this, it is important to increase the consumption of fresh vegetables and fruits, fiber and water in the diet.