There is a definite data revealed by research on nutrition : If you eat well, you will not get depressed! Studies prove this: For example , eating more vegetables reduces the risk of depression by 62 percent. If your mental health is good, your physical health is also good. Because what you eat supports both mind and body. For example, substances found in green leafy vegetables and tomatoes affect brain chemistry positively and prevent depression. Here are some nutritional suggestions from Dietitian Emre Uzun that will be good not only for our stomach but also for our soul…
Nutrition and Diet Specialist Emre Uzun’ According to the statements of the company, the three most important shields that help eliminate the risk of depression are lycopene, folate, organic acids and crocin!
- Lycopene is abundant in tomatoes.
- Folate is a type of B vitamin found in legumes and green vegetables.
- Importance of folate: People who don’t get enough folate are three times more likely to get depressed!
- Crocin is abundant in saffron. Saffron is the most used product related to mental health in phytotherapeutic treatments. Thanks to the substances in its content, it prevents the deterioration of the acid balance that causes depression in the body, and strengthens mental health.
Against depression, we need to eat mainly vegetables. Green leafy vegetables and tomatoes are a lifesaver at this point! Because the substances in green leafy vegetables and tomatoes affect brain chemistry positively and prevent depression.
Spices such as lavender, lemon balm and saffron are also protective against depression. Just smelling them strengthens the nerve transmissions of the brain and positively affects the mood. Eating more vegetables reduces the risk of depression by 62 percent.
Berries such as raspberry, blackberry, blueberry, blueberry; Fruits, spices and beverages such as grapes, apples, onions, green tea, cloves, wild marjoram, cinnamon and nutmeg make you feel calm, energetic and happy.
Here is the recipe for peace!
In reality, 7-8 servings of fruit and 7-8 servings of vegetables a day are recommended to avoid depression, but for this you need to go through screenings such as sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol.
What about nutritional mistakes that cause depression? Emre Uzun also touches upon the nutritional mistakes that trigger depression and lists the foods that increase the risk of depression as follows:
Foods that increase the risk of depression
– Arachidonic acid, which is found in chicken and eggs and increases the risk of depression. This is an inflammation-enhancing component and can increase brain inflammation and disrupt our mental balance.
– Avoid sweeteners if you’re in a bad mood. All carbonated drinks containing aspartame are examples of this.
– All kinds of fast food products also trigger depression. Foods such as hamburgers, hot dogs and pizza increase the risk of depression by 51 percent.
Unsweetened coffee against depression
Coffee is one of the drinks that relieves depression. However, you can drink a maximum of 4-5 cups of unsweetened, unsweetened coffee a day. When you add sugar or sweetener to your coffee, it has the opposite effect instead of keeping you away from depression.
Yes, as you quickly noticed, sweeteners trigger depression. This means that you cannot get rid of sweeteners by drinking coffee plain. There are sweeteners in more than 6,000 products detected in the USA alone. Sweeteners can be found even in chewing gum, jam, jelly, juices, cereal bars and yogurts. For this reason, you need to control the ingredients you eat and read labels well.
Herbal nutrition is protective against depression
Dietitian Emre Uzun states that those who eat plant-based food feel more vigorous and away from depression compared to those who eat indiscriminately. “People on a plant-based diet are less likely to catch fatal diseases such as cancer, and psychologically upsetting diseases such as hemorrhoids, ulcers, and varicose veins. They are hospitalized less. and the search for solutions is reduced by half!”