Spinach is one of the most beneficial vegetables among seasonal vegetables. However, for our readers who underlined that there is a fear of consuming spinach due to the spinach poisoning cases seen in recent days, I would like to thank Internal Medicine and Nephrology Specialist Assoc. Dr. Enes Murat Atasoy answered the curious questions about spinach poisoning.
When purchasing spinach, it should be noted that the leaves are alive, the leaves are not yellow-brown, there are no spots on them, and the leaf integrity is intact. . It is necessary to wash the leaves one by one in running water while wearing gloves, and to remove the weeds that have been mixed in.
Vegetables may be exposed to pesticides, preservatives, and eggs of soil-dwelling insects during cultivation. Chemicals that come with the rain, bacteria in the soil can take place on fresh fruits and vegetables.
How to wash spinach; Is it necessary to soak in vinegar and salt water?
- While it may be sufficient to wash purchased vegetables well in running and known clean water, soaking them in vinegar is a good solution to remove any remaining bacteria from the vegetables.
- Vegetables such as spinach, which can be purchased with the root, should be washed after removing the root.
- Since bacteria can pass from our hands to the vegetables, it is necessary to wash our hands before and after washing the vegetables.
How long does it take to consume spinach?
- Cooked food should be kept outside for a maximum of 2 hours, then stored in the refrigerator.
- If the weather is very hot, the food should not be kept outside for more than an hour. ,
- Cooked food should be heated at most twice after. In this sense, spinach can stay in the refrigerator for 2 days.
How to understand if spinach salad or food is spoiled?
- Sour or bad odor in food
- Loss of consistency of water are signs of deterioration.
How does spinach poison, which toxic (poisonous) substances appear?
- Spinach may cause discomfort in people who are sensitive to the substance called “histamine” in its structure.
- Poisoning symptoms may occur with the effect of bacteria, parasites, noxious herbs or chemical substances that may have infected the leaves of spinach during the cultivation, collection, transportation and storage processes.
What are the symptoms of spinach poisoning?
When people with histamine sensitivity eat spinach
- Cramp-like pain in the stomach
- Skin itching
- Runny nose
- Nasal congestion may occur .
In the presence of bacteria, chemicals or weeds in spinach
- General condition disorder
- Bloody stools
- Severe vomiting
- Non-reducing fever
- Changes in consciousness
Spinach consumption per person If there are symptoms such as bloody stools, severe vomiting, persistent fever, and changes in consciousness, a doctor should be consulted immediately.