Individuals with hair follicle inflammation hidradenitis suppurativa -HS , which is also referred to as canine udder disease , can reach the correct diagnosis in approximately 7 years . The quality of life of patients with hair follicle inflammation, which is seen in one out of every 100 people in the society, decreases due to painful, inflamed acne and boil-like nodules in their bodies. That’s why Dermatoimmunology and Allergy Association launched a new awareness campaign with the support of AbbVie to draw attention to chronic hair follicle inflammation hidradenitis suppurativa- HS.
Also referred to as “acne inversa” by dermatologists; Hair follicle inflammation – hidradenitis suppurativa (HS), which is a chronic skin disease that usually causes inflammation in the armpits and groin area, can lead to painful lesions, nodules and boils in the person. HS, which is located in areas where sweat glands are located, under the breasts, on the buttocks and inside the calves, where the skin is rubbed, is not a contagious and infectious disease, but since the lesions caused by HS can be extremely uncomfortable and painful, the quality of life of those living with this disease often deteriorates.
Hidradenitis Suppurativa (HS) stages
Hair follicle inflammation varies from person to person and is seen in various ways.
- Mild cases of HS consist of small bumps, blackheads, or a few cysts.
- On the other hand, in advanced stage patients, abscesses that recur more than once and sometimes with odorous discharge are seen.
HS stage 1 symptoms
- Single or few boils without sinus tract or scarring.
- Painful bumps and abscesses may appear in the armpits, around the groin, inner thighs, buttocks, and under the breasts.
- The swellings usually begin as firm nodules the size of a pea.
- Because they are typically red, these nodules are often mistaken for a sexual condition such as acne, ingrown hair or herpes.
HS stage 2 symptoms
- Recurrent boils with sinus tracts and scarring at multiple sites.
- Scarring can occur with HS as a result of prolonged or repeated boils in a single location.
HS stage 3 symptoms
- Widespread boils (walnut sized) in the affected area connected by multiple sinus tracts can cause severe scarring and foul-smelling discharge.
Who gets Hidradenitis Suppurativa (HS)?
Hair follicle inflammation is a disease involving the skin. HS is defined as an inflammatory disorder. In this sense, it is stated that it is caused by irregularities in the body’s own immune system.
HS can occur at any age, but is most common in adults in their early 20s and decreases after 50 to 55 years of age.
Although not all HS cases are progressive (which progresses over time), some HS cases can reappear and continue to grow if not managed properly. Therefore, it is important to diagnose HS as early as possible and to treat it correctly. However, since the disease develops in the hair follicles, the removal of hair follicles by laser epilation takes the lead in preventive treatment.
It is stated that the prevalence of HS in the world is around 1% in the general population. However, it is often misdiagnosed. Many people living with hair follicle inflammation have difficulty in describing their symptoms of hesitation, embarrassment, or seeking help from a dermatologist, as the disease develops in private parts of the person, especially in the genitals. For this reason, it is estimated that the number of people diagnosed with HS is much less than expected.
References : https://www.hidradenit.com