Well, the weather has gotten really cold. Liv Hospital Internal Medicine Specialist Prof. Dr. Liv Hospital Internal Diseases Specialist. Dr. Aslı Çurgunlu talked about ways to spend the winter without flu. What should I do to avoid the flu? Who gets the flu vaccine? Are cold and flu the same thing? Here you can find all the details you need to protect yourself from the flu and the flu at appleelma.com!
Are Flu and Cold the Same Thing?
common cold or flu; It is a viral infection disease of the upper respiratory tract that occurs with symptoms such as sneezing, runny or stuffy nose, sore throat, cough, and a feeling of fullness in the face and forehead. Fever is not usually seen in adults. After a week, the complaints subside. Influenza is an infection with more severe symptoms and signs. Patients have complaints such as fever, severe weakness, muscle aches, headache, cough. Again, symptoms such as sore throat, cold, runny or stuffy nose can also be seen in flu infection. The feared picture in influenza infections is the emergence of complications such as sinusitis, otitis media, and pneumonia.
Are Antibiotics Helpful?
Antibiotics are not effective in viral infections. There is no use in using it. – Antibiotics are beneficial and should be used if bacterial-related conditions (such as sinusitis, otitis media, pneumonia) are added in influenza infection. In the treatment of flu, pain relievers and antipyretics, plenty of fluid intake and bed rest help to reduce complaints.
Who Should Get the Flu Vaccine?
- Persons aged 65 and over.
- People with chronic disease: Those with diabetes, chronic heart disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), chronic liver, kidney disease
- People with weakened immune systems who have undergone cancer, organ and bone marrow transplantation and those who care for these patients,
- Doctors, nurses, caregivers working in hospitals; nursery and nursing home workers.
- People who are in close contact with people in the high-risk group
- Although it is recommended to vaccinate against the flu in October-November, unvaccinated people can be vaccinated during the entire winter months when the infection occurs.